Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Lamb, The Line and The Wardrobe

In my move to Canada there is an obvious climate change which undoubtedly has lead to a wardrobe change. Being a proverbial observer and a victim of ADHD I can't help but notice the things that are happening around me. In Jamaican I'm generally thrown by the Ugg boots walking by me in burger king or that woman in those yeast infection causing jeans.

In Canada it appears that the line between warmth and serial killer is very thin. You see the trench coat unfortunately has a bad reputation. Events such as Columbine, bank robberies and most mass murder shootings has resulted in this negative portrayal of the trench coat. What this has resulted in also is the lifetime movie trying to be coy by using other kinds of coats thus the coat has a bad reputation.

So when I go on the train, the young lady with the black trench coat and pink fashion water boots doesn't scare me. On the other hand, the gentleman in the long black coat in dirty shoes, with a blank cold stare on his face does. I can't help but think there is some serious artillery in his right coat pocket.

Like last night there was a gentleman walking towards me at the bus stop and I honestly wanted to push him in the line of on coming traffic before he did it to me. I guess the real issue isn't the coat is it? It's the persona in the coat as well. If you're going to wear clothes with a bad reputation at least where it with some amount of glee, a smile on your face and a sunflower in your coat pocket. Not literally obviously, but you get the idea.

So, upon a deep analysis of my fear of the coat or the persona in the coat, I think the bigger problem is I need to buy a coat and I don't want to look like a serial killer.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha. When I was in the colder climes, my problem was buying a coat that didn't make me look like the Michelin man! The truth is that I really see you coming out in a bubble jacket (see link below for example). But if you don't like trench coats but want something similar, a coat with a similar line but different rep is the peacoat. I love those. :) Get a nice one in wool and you'll be good for decades to come.

    http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Sugar-and-Spice-Juniors-Down-filled-Bubble-Jacket/4401276/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=12363589

    ReplyDelete